Monday, December 10, 2012

Running a Marathon (Part 1)



     Have you ever run a marathon?  My husband and daughter ran a 5K once; they completed it in 45 minutes.  Unfortunately, I had to miss out on the fun.  The toilets really needed cleaning.  It was very impressive to hear their story about perseverance and pacing to finish the race, albeit even though they did not finish at any record time.  “That’s really awesome!” I proclaimed in pride at their accomplishment.
      “Not really,” Sydni replied.  “The winner finished in 20 minutes while pushing a double stroller with two babies inside.”  At least she was honest. 
     Life has marathons much like the literal events.  To win we need to persevere, pace ourselves, and do all we can to prepare our bodies and minds for the race.  My sweet friend, Melissa, and her husband, Fletcher, are running one of those marathons right now.  In fact, they are symbolically running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure;  Melissa (Mouse) and Fletcher are forging their way through the marathon of chemotherapy after she had a malignant tumor removed a few months ago. 
     I’m amazed at the perseverance of these two people.  At the onset of the diagnosis, both turned their incomprehensible faith on full force as a model for the rest of us in accepting the results of the biopsy.  Immediately, they began pacing their lives for the reality of what was to come.  Now, in the midst of this marathon, they battle every couple weeks the tortures of the chemo.  Just as a marathon has those moments of struggle where the runner is unsure of completion, so too is the race Melissa and Fletcher are enduring.  Yet through it all, they post comments such as their “Daily Thankfuls” and updates that always include a reference to how good God is to help them through this incredibly difficult time.
     Recently, Fletcher wrote, I'm really very fortunate. Even in the midst of all her suffering, my best friend, Melissa, still consciously takes the time to think about, & demonstrate her love for me. To be valued is one of our fundamental, primary needs as people. Everywhere I look I see people declaring Mouse & I are valuable by their presence, thoughts, donations, helps, phone calls & emails. It's a good day.”  Their Facebook pages are deluged with prayers and blessings from family, friends, and now even strangers. 
     As a bystander, I’m truly amazed at the outpouring on this young couple.  God is in charge of this, no matter what the outcome.  To see His love radiate through the beautiful photos of Mouse and Fletcher as they struggle on with this marathon, to read the prayers from loved ones, to see the posts of encouragement and joy at the smallest miracles along the way … all of these and so much more are the miracles we often overlook in such a heartbreaking time.  I’ve found myself begging God to bring the miracle of healing to Melissa, and I truly believe He can do this.  Lately, though, I’ve struggled with this question:  “Do I really believe He WILL do this for them?”  I think this might be the greatest leap of faith we all encounter, yet never really understand.  I know God can do anything He wants.  I just don’t understand why He doesn’t always do it the way I think He should.  Therefore, I struggle with faith that  He WILL answer the prayers we pour out on Him.
     Thankfully, we serve a God who is gracious beyond our human understanding.  He does answer prayer.  And, I know without a doubt that He will be with Melissa and Fletcher through this entire ordeal, no matter what the outcome.  I want so badly to say I truly believe with all my heart that He WILL heal her completely.  I’m working through that one every day in prayer for them and my own faith.  Their faith is actually teaching me how to be stronger in my own walk with God.  I do not want my friends to suffer one more moment, but I am so grateful that God is using all of this for His Glory in their lives and in the lives of all who love and support them.
     Their lives are put on hold for now with finances totally drained in medical bills, emotions numbed by simple survival instinct, and physical needs beyond anything most of us will ever realize.  Yet, through it all, these two people spread joy in hope for what’s coming, for each new day, and for the relief in a moment without pain.  With their permission, I’m sharing this Facebook link so you might be blessed, as am I, by their abiding faith throughout this marathon:  https://www.facebook.com/fletch.whipp
     Dear Melissa and Fletcher, May God continue to bless you and keep you in His amazing and abiding peace just as He has all your lives.  Thank you for sharing His joy with us through your faith and joy in spite of this marathon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment