Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Lord's Prayer

David wrote a heartfelt prayer to God in Psalm 23.  It's probably one of the first passages you learned by heart; it was the first chapter I learned by heart at a young age of 6.  It was also my grandmother's favorite.  She's the one who taught it to me when I was so young.  My daughter, Sydni, also learned the passage by the time she was 5.  I doubt either of us truly understood the words at those young ages, but it would resonate in our hearts until one day later we were mature enough to grasp its beautiful message.

God planted this scripture in my heart, and the hearts of so many, for comfort, guidance, and a reminder that He desperately wants to be our Guide in life.  It's interesting, but the promises in this Psalm are all truth in our lives because of Jesus' death and resurrection.  A Psalm written hundreds of years before Christ's birth prophesied the promises that we could count on after His glorious resurrection.

One of my favorite Bible translations is Eugene Peterson's The Message.  Following his model, I'd like to share my own version of what Psalm 23 has meant, and still does mean, to my life.

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Jesus Christ is my Savior, my Redeemer, my Best Friend.  With Him in my life, I don't need anything.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
Even though I'm often stressed, He gives me peace and tranquility in life.  Sometimes He just makes me stop and count my blessings instead of concentrating on the bad stuff.

3 He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
And when I screw up, He forgives me because of Who He is and Whose I am.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
And sometimes when I screw up really bad, and sin has a death grip on my heart, deep down I still know He is with me.  He just waits patiently for me to come to my senses, sometimes with a little tough discipline along the way.  But always He reassures me that I'm still His.  He knows I have faults, but He looks past them to reassure me and meet my needs.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
When life get tough and I feel so totally wronged by, or frustrated with, others, He reminds me to focus on Him and the joy He lays out before me every day.  Then, He forgives me, again, for the evil thoughts I held against those who hurt me.  And I realize once more that with God, I lack absolutely nothing in life.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
I am certain that Jesus Christ will continue to pour out His blessings, His love, His forgiveness, every moment of my life.  And someday, I am going to spend eternity in Heaven with my Savior and, hopefully, everyone I've had the joy of knowing and loving on earth.

(Scripture from Psalm 23 KJV.)

No comments:

Post a Comment